What MacBook Pro charger do I need?
In the process of selecting a charging device for your MacBook Pro, there is nothing complicated if you understand the compatibility parameters.
This manual will help you to choose a charging device compatible with your MacBook Pro model in just 3 steps.
- Identify the model of your MacBook Pro.
There are several ways to get information about the model, production year of your Mac and its unique serial number:
- Choose Apple menu "About this Mac" in your MacBook Pro. The first tab "Overview" contains all the necessary information.
- The bottom panel of your Mac, next to the marking, also bears its unique serial number. You can use this number on the
Apple official website to determine the model of your device.
- The serial number of the computer can also be found on the original Mac packaging (printed on the package next to the bar code).
- Basics about the capacity of a power adapter.
When you have accurately determined the model of your MacBook Pro, the next step is to identify the power adapter of the required capacity.
For MacBook Pro, depending on the computer model, there are 60, 61, 85, and 87 W power adapters.
For correct operation of the computer, it is recommended to purchase
an appropriate power adapter for a specific Mac model. It is permitted to use a higher power adapter, but this does not increase the computer speed or charging speed.
Note that lower power adapters are not recommended because they do not provide sufficient power.
- Choose a charging device with a compatible power connector for your MacBook Pro.
Now you can choose a charging device of required power. Depending on the MacBook Pro model, the power connector of the charging device will also be different.
Charging devices with USB-C connector (Type-C PD)
- 61W USB-C — MacBook Pro 13“ 2016 – 2018.
- 87W USB-C — MacBook Pro 15“ 2016 – 2018.
Charging devices with MagSafe 2 connector (T-tip)
- 85W MagSafe 2 — MacBook Pro 15“ Retina 2012 – 2015.
- 60W MagSafe 2 — MacBook Pro 13“ Retina 2012 – 2015.
Charging devices with MagSafe connector (L-tip)
60W MagSafe power adapter with "L" style connector — MacBook Pro 13“ 2009 –2012.
85W MagSafe power adapter with "L" style connector — MacBook Pro 15“ и 17“ 2010 –2012.
The differences between MagSafe and MagSafe 2
MagSafe and MagSafe 2 connectors both perform the same functions and have a magnetic connection. But these connectors differ in shape — MagSafe 2 is T shape and Magsafe is L shape. The connectors are not backward compatible — you will not be able to use MagSafe 2 for computers with MagSafe port.
If you have any questions, please contact our consultant or ask them in comments.